Friday 15 January 2010

Deception


They say that children start to lie around four years of age. Sienna is now 3 years and 9 months old, and to my knowledge, hasn't lied yet. But yesterday something happened that made me smile, and speculate that my little girl really is growing up, her thinking, reasoning and planning are growing more complex.

I got an email from the library about two overdue books. One was in Kyla's name, and we quickly located it. The other was under Sienna's name. We looked everywhere. High, low, under drawers, beds, behind bookshelves, in closets. No book to be found. I decided to look it up on the net, so that we could get a picture of the cover. It was a small green book with a dog on the cover, called, funnily enough, Dog.

I went to check in Sienna's room again, and she followed me in. Kyla then said to her, 'Sienna, have you seen a green book with a doggy on the cover?' Sienna looked at her and said,

'Is it a cute doggy?' We laughed and Kyla said yes. Then Sienna replied, 'It's hiding in those drawers there.' Sure enough she had put it in one of the drawers in the bedside cabinet that the kids have their little TV sitting on. Much relief all around to have found it. I then asked Sienna if she had put it in there, and she said,

'Yes! I hided it because I didn't want you to take it back!'


I wouldn't have thought she would even think of doing that, and it made me laugh. What a clever chicken!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I think we have the same attitude, Hay--when Nathan does this kind of stuff, I just feel amused and/or amazed at how he's growing. I don't even see it as deception--I see it as cleverness. Sienna is SUCH a cutie-pie!!

Hay said...

Haha, so true Karen, it's quite amazing to see how much they begin to process when they are little, I love it. She is rather cute huh? :)

The Word Party

Loving words clutch crimson roses,
Rude words sniff and pick their noses,
Sly words come dressed as foxes,
Short words stand on cardboard boxes,
Common words tell jokes and gabble,
Complicated words play Scrabble,
Swear words stamp around and shout,
Hard words stare eachother out,
Foreign words look lost and shrug,
Careless words trip on the rug,
Long words slouch with stooping shoulders,
Code words carry secret folders,
Silly words flick rubber bands,
Hyphenated words hold hands,
Strong words show off, bending metal,
Sweet words call each other 'petal',
Small words yawn and suck their thumbs,
Till at last the morning comes,
Kind words give out farewell posies....
Snap! The dictionary closes.

-RICHARD EDWARDS.